30 May 1939 – 20 May 2020
Well-known stamp dealer and PHILAS House volunteer Alf Campe has passed away. He was enjoying the sunshine in his backyard in Melbourne when he started to walk back towards the house, collapsed with a heart attack and died immediately. He was ten days short of his 81st birthday.
Alf was the son of Belgian-born Alfred Charles (A. C.) Campe who established a souvenir shop at Manly Beach in 1919 after returning from service with the Australian forces. In 1924 the shop was moved to the Australia Hotel Arcade in Rowe Street, central Sydney and became a stamp dealer’s shop. In 1928 it moved to the Bank of Australasia building on the corner of Liverpool and George Streets then in the 1930s to the Sydney Arcade between King and Pitt Streets. From 1941 to 1969 the shop was in the Royal Arcade (now displaced by the Hilton Hotel) and from 1969 to 2007 it was in Castlereagh Street. After A. C. Campe’s death in 1952 the shop was run by his wife and sons Alf and Graeme (Graeme passed away in 2003).
Following the closure of the shop in 2007, Alf occupied an office in PHILAS House where he worked at disposing of his unsold stock, advising visitors on their collections and lotting material brought in for the PHILAS auctions. Alf had helped to set up the auctions in the 1970s.
Alf Campe in his office
at PHILAS House.
Alf was a pillar of Sydney’s stamp collecting community. He was well - liked and highly respected. He will be sorely missed. Everyone at PHILAS sends condolences to Mrs Terri Campe and their family.